Sunday, August 9, 2020

Reading My Emails: Perceptual Bias Humor

If I needed any reminders that being in the middle of a pandemic can affect the way I notice and remember things, and that context often determines one's perception of reality, I give you my Wednesday, August 5 emails. My email account received these three back-to-back-to-back messages. Before sharing them, let me first say that I have no plans to fly, based on Dr. Fauci's recommendations and my own sense of things. 

At 12:50 P.M., here is the first email, listing the sender followed by heading:

FRONTIER AIRLINES -- "Fly healthy with $19 fares + a special 'thank you' from CEO Barry Biffle"


Just in case I took Frontier up on their offer, flew, and things did not turn out "healthy," the following email came a minute later at 12:51 P.M.:

TRUST AND WILL -- "Estate Planning Made Easy"


And then, my next email at 1:05 P.M.:

AMERICAN AIRLINES ADVANTAGE PROGRAM -- "Book summer travel before it's over"

Given the previous emails, the "it's over" could easily be referring to my life. I guess American is suggesting I fly again before I die.


It's good to know that airlines and estate planners are looking out for me. So is my non-conscious mind. How often does anyone notice a relationship between three consecutive garbage emails and fill in the possible blanks. Such is the fabric of conspiracy, I'm afraid, and me noting these otherwise nondescript emails is telling. The pandemic is obviously playing tricks with my attention, but that may not be the worst of it. 

I'm wondering what satanic algorithm sent these three emails to me back-to-back-to-back. Somewhere there's a conspiratorial AI with a sense of humor.


Bob Dietz

August 9, 2020